Friday, January 11, 2013

Most Anticipated Releases of 2013

Hey, it's a new year!

2013? That's kind of a sucky year name, isn't it? It doesn't exactly roll off of your tongue. Not like 2012 or twenty-twelve. There's just no easy way to say 2013 (twothousand-thirteen? Twenty-thirteen? No, just give up). But hey, regardless of how the year sounds, a new year means, new releases! I am, of course, talking about movies and games. I've been looking ahead into the new year (with my crystal ball n' shit) and I've compiled a list of my most anticipated titles. Of course, I couldn't find everything that's going to be coming out in 2013, not everything is yet announced and I may have missed some shit (geez, I'm only human). But anyway, it's a good sized list nonetheless. I'll try my hardest to give a review of all of these and at the end of the year, I'll reflect upon this list and see if everything met my expectations. This list, of course, is in no particular order. So let's begin!

First: The movies

Monsters University - June 21


If there's one thing I will never get tired of in this world, it's Pixar movies. Pixar has this magical method of appealing to all ages. Their movies are always crafted with painstaking detail and are notorious for having hundreds of little 'inside jokes' often in the background. While I'm not so crazy about them making sequels, largely because it shows that even they must succumb to marketing (thank Disney for that), I can always count on the next Pixar movie to fulfill my expectations, regardless of my early impressions.

Man of Steel - June 14


I'm not a huge Superman fan, but I enjoy the movies and I must say, the trailer for this caught me by surprise. It sounds like a super-hero fan's wet-dream. Produced by Christopher Nolan, scripted by David S. Goyer, score by Hans Zimmer and directed by Zack Snyder. Looks rad. Rumor has it there's going to be a Justice League movie so this must be a precursor of sorts. I'll be in the theatre on June 14. See ya there.

World War Z - June 21


I'll admit, I never read the book but I love zombies like a motherfucker and I've heard good things about World War Z. While I'm pretty neutral towards Brad Pitt, he's certainly a good actor and I'm glad they got a legit guy for this movie, I was scared that'd it'd be a mediocre, low budget film. Of course, just having a big actor doesn't mean necessarily anything towards that end, but it's certainly hope.

The Tomb - September 27


Wondering why I'm excited for this one? Those two names above the title is why. I don't even care all that much what it's about I just want to see Slyvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger kicking ass in a movie together.

Ender's Game - November 1


Unfortunately, they've got that annoying kid from Hugo as the lead role in this film, but I can stomach that easily enough. Ender's Game was a badass book, so as long as the movie is faithful (and not over CG'd although there's little to no hope of that being the case) it'll be good.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - November 21


Despite all of the hipsters bitching about The Hunger Games, I thought it was quite good (sorry for not doing a review of it), therefore, I have high expectations for the sequel The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, the book which I thought was better than first anyway. My only initial complaint is the title. Why do they have to prefix it with "The Hunger Games:"? Books don't do that shit, the book was just "Catching Fire". Do they think that moviegoers are so retarded that they can't discern whether or not it's a sequel? This is a really common trend with movies. They do it every time they're not tacking a new number to the end of the old title. I just don't understand cinema some times.

The Great Gatsby - May 10


I can't wait for this one. The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books and Leonardo DiCaprio is a great actor. It's unfortunate though that they threw Toby Maguire into it, because he sucks but I have pretty high expectations for the movie regardless.

The Evil Dead - April 12


I highly doubt that the tagline is true there, considering the original Evil Dead didn't try to be scary at all. Despite my complaints about remakes, this is a movie that could use one. It's dated and updating could be pulled off very well. It's hard to walk that fine line from being too faithful to the original and too different, but for some reason, I have faith in this film. I can't wait.

A Good Day to Die Hard - February 14


Like any man, I'm a big fan of the Die Hard films. I wouldn't be as excited for this as I am if Live Free or Die Hard hadn't impressed me as much as it did. My expectation and hope is that it's done in the same style. Lots of stunts with a plot that doesn't revolve around trying to fit as many explosions as possible into an hour and forty minutes. Also, Bruce Willis is badass.

Video Games

Dead Space 3 - February 5


Dead Space is a great over-the-shoulder, survival-horror series. If you've played it, you know what I mean. It's as scary as it's gory. So gory in fact that Dead Space 2's advertising campaign was called, Your Mom Hates This. Anyway, yeah, Dead Space 3 is gonna rock.

SimCity - March 5


Oh, how I love the SimCity games. I'm not sure what the deal is with not having the 5 at the end there, but who really cares, right? I'm a long-time fan of the series and SimCity promises to be a great improvement over the previous titles. The fifth SimCity game since 1989. Quality over quantity people.

Deadpool - 2013


I can't believe that game companies sat on their asses so long without making a Deadpool game. A game based entirely on kicking ass as Deadpool? It sounds too good to be true, therefore, I'm being prudent with this game and I'm following the production carefully. If this game meets the fans' expectations, then it'll be one of the best titles of this year.

Grand Theft Auto V - Spring


What? Were you worried I would forget this one? Your fingers itching in contempt to get into the comments the moment you were done skimming and tell me how much of a fool I am? Well, of course not. There is no doubt in my mind that this game will be a show-stopper. GTA always delivers hundreds of hours of amazing gameplay and I'm counting down the moments until spring.

Watch Dogs - 2013


This one might be my most anticipated game out of all of them. The trailer very much impressed me and it looks like an Assassin's Creed game set in the modern day (and I fucking love Assassin's Creed). It seems strange that Ubisoft would go and make this game. Why not save the concept for a future Assassin's Creed game? I don't know, it looks awesome nevertheless.


Aliens: Colonial Marines - February 12


If you've read some of my previous posts, you may have already gathered that I'm a huge Xenomorph fan. The Aliens and Predator games alike are notoriously bad, but hopefully they can get one right this time and deliver a badass horror experience.

Pikmin 3 - Spring


I don't know if I've ever experienced quite the emotional roller coaster as I did when I saw this game announcement. First was the initial excitement over "holtfuckingshit a new Pikmin game." which then became "fuckfuckingass why does it have to be a Wii U exclusive? Why, God, why?" I adore Pikmin and I've been waiting nine years for a new Pikmin game. Finally, one is coming out and while it is unfortunate that it's on the Wii U, hopefully I'll be able to play it at some point. I have no interest in purchasing a Wii U, but I'll be honest, this game almost convinced me. Dick move Nintendo, dick move.

Metro: Last Light - March


Metro: 2033 was an indie survival-horror game that came out in 2010. Three years later we have Metro: Last Light. It's gonna be scary as hell and I love the post-apocalyptic gas mask shit. Plenty of late nights for me in March.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs - 2013


A veteran of Amnesia: The Dark Descent knows what they're getting into with this game. It's almost a dread when I know I'll have to buy this game at some point and it'll ruin my sleeping pattern for a month or so. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the scariest horror game to ever be released (an arguable point, but it's what I think). So, I can't wait to get into the follow up.

South Park: The Stick of Truth - March 5


Finally a South Park game that's gotten some attention from the show's creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, who've generally remained unaffiliated with the previous mediocre South Park games. My only hope for this game is that it's as funny as the show, in which respect, I haven't a doubt in my mind.

Cyberpunk 2077 - ?


Since no release date has even been spoken about yet, I have doubts that this game will release this year although I can only hope that it does. The short trailer looks stunning and while we don't know much yet about the game, we do know it'll be open world and it's being made by the guys who made The Witcher games. I have very high hopes for this game. I'd love to be playing it by the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment