Saturday, January 26, 2013

Top 9 Movie Trailers

Movie trailers, these days, are a form of cinema themselves. They're not like the trailers we saw 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago. Now, movie trailers are done in a very unique style that is, interestingly, only made to get you to watch the movie. I love a good movie trailer. I love it when I get goosebumps because a trailer is so awesome. So, here is a list of trailers like that. My favorite trailers. Do note that what I feel about the trailers, in no way reflects how I feel about the movie. Enjoy!

9. The Day the Earth Stood Still



Funny thing is, I didn't even like this movie. In my humble opinion, it was a poorly executed remake that only used the name, The Day the Earth Stood Still, as a ploy for advertising which is sad because the original is one of my favorite movies of all time. It came off as just way too preachy. But hey, the trailer rocks.

8. 9



I apologize in advance for the poor video quality, it was the best I could find.
It seems to me that nobody saw this movie which is unfortunate because I thought it was very good. It's a great and very unique post-apocalyptic action/thriller that's hard to forget. Moviegoers should be in no way turned-off by the fact that it's computer animated, this movie panders to an older audience anyway (it's PG-13 and everything). It's also funny to note that, yes, it did release on 9-9-09.

7. Prometheus



Let me first start by saying that I'm a die-hard Alien fan and when I first saw this trailer, I just about shit myself (I recall there were, honest-to-God, tears in my eyes). This movie got a lot of mixed reviews (I even gave it a poorly-written one a few months ago), but I was very impressed with it, on the whole because, while there were no shortage of special effects, it went for the 'less is more' sort of style and I very much like to see that in a modern movie.

6. Resident Evil: Afterlife




Despite what the fanbase of the Resident Evil game series says, the Resident Evil film series is quite good, if you ask me and could be enjoyed by a fan too, especially considering that it hardly has anything in common with the games anyway. This is the kind of movie where you "check your brain at the door," and just enjoy it for what it is, an awesome action movie, not to be taken seriously and, for what it's worth, I think we need movies like this. Some people hate this kind of movie, which is weird to me. You like comedies right? Who doesn't like Airplane or Austin Powers? Why can't you let yourself go into an action movie with the same mindset? Don't forcibly limit yourself.

5. Watchmen




This trailer serves as a great hook for the three-hour spectacle that is Watchmen. Being a huge fan of the book, as I am, I love the movie. I thought it was great. Very true to the book, never felt slow, always engaging and just as serious as the source material. The movie is gritty, gory and has (I think) five sex scenes in it (which is a sex scene every 37.2 minutes, on average). It's my personal favorite comic-book adaptation. Not my favorite comic-based movie, but my favorite in reference to the adaptation aspect. It looks just like the comic did and it was pulled off rather perfectly.

4. The Thing


I've talked about this movie before. The trailer is badass, but it's unfortunately better than the movie. The movie itself was okay, but it was just a reboot of the 80's version which is one of the best sci-fi/horror movies ever made. It seems that a lot of trailers these days are doing that loud bass with to accompany a cut like that... Not that I mind. I think it's absurdly badass.

3. The Crazies



This movie actually surprised me. I didn't have very good expectations for it, y'know, I expected just a run-of-the-mill zombie flick, but what I got turned out to be, what is IMHO, the best zombie movie of the decade. One of two reasons I decided to pick it up, is because Timothy Olyphant is the lead role and I've liked him in every movie I've seen him in. Of course the other reason is because I wondered how so much of the incredible things depicted in the trailer could happen in one movie. I wasn't disappointed and I recommend this film.

2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


Holy fuck is that trailer badass as all hell. I'm fairly certain that most people would agree, seeing that trailer for the first time, in the theatre, was better than sex. Of course, the excitement of seeing this, coasts mostly on the fact that by this point, you were so emotionally invested in these characters after six movies and ten years, that it wasn't even funny. The motion picture event that defined a generation? A worldwide phenomenon? No offense, but if you missed these movies, you're an asshole. You missed out on this generation's Star Wars.

1. Terminator: Salvation


I've gotta say, this trailer right here is my favorite of all time. It's just so, and I hate this word, epic. I don't know what it is about that text booming on to the screen like that, but it's just so damn cool. I think a lot of people hated this movie, but I would disagree. I liked it. It was certainly better than the precursor Terminator: Rise of the Machines, which, while being somewhat better than it's reputation, is still the undisputed worst of the series, so any improvement at all is good. While the other movies go for a more subtle plot where there's only one Terminator hunting them in the normal world, this movie just says 'fuck it' and goes hard with a full on war against machines. It was everything I expected it to be when coming into the movie and it met my expectations.

I think that about does it

But, knowing myself, I'll probably add a few over time because I'm sure I forgot some. Hey, I'm only human.

No comments:

Post a Comment