Monday, July 30, 2012

Prometheus Review

I was asked to do a review of this so I'll give it a shot.


I first learned of this movie from a poster that caught my eye when I went to see The Deathly Hallows: Part 2. I was already a fan of Ridley Scott, the man who made Alien, and the poster looked mysterious.

When I got home I checked out the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU

I cried.

The trailer is deliberately elusive to the plot but a fan of the original movies would immediately know what it was. The familiar music, sets and of course the iconic title sequence were all there and it was being made by Ridley Scott.

Needless to say, I went into this movie with the highest expectations possible

This movie has gotten some mixed reviews

One thing you can't expect from this movie is action. There's not much and I think that may have disappointed some viewers. The movie is largely philosophical. It's all about the deeper meanings and there are quite a few people who give it their best to write about that, but I won't because I don't want to spoil anything.

It's clear that this movie is very different from the rest of the series. For one thing it's a prequel rather than the usual sequel and it doesn't star Sigourney Weaver. That being said, a non-Alien franchise fan, could watch the entire movie, enjoy it and not even know it was part of another series.

*SORT OF A SPOILER?*
There's no Xenomorph action which must have been disappointing for the fans and I'll admit I was a little let down but I get why it was done that way.

The movie was about the creation of the Xenomorphs not about fighting them, and it had become clear in recent years that the series couldn't just keep going for that sort of action.


Painfully clear.

So it's understandable and commendable to try something so different. Movies these days are typically going for the same format. Just do whatever worked last time. So, I always love to see a change.

It's the kind of movie that you may want to watch twice

Yeah, it's one of those movies. It's tough to really get it the first time. You've really got to pay attention.

The storyline is suspenseful and engaging. You're always dying to know what's going to happen next and although the action is few and far between, it's always great and the final scenes are intense.

All in all?

Great movie, just don't expect your regular Alien flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment